Friday, April 16, 2010

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

For those fellow Marvel Comics Silver Age fans out there I’m sure you remember when Marvel introduced Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. in its Strange Tales anthology series first drawn by Jack Kirby and later written and drawn by the legendary Jim Steranko.The story centered on the modern day spy adventures of one-time WWII Sergeant Nick Fury as the head of the spy organization S.H.I.E.L.D. and its fight against evil around the globe.
Later on, Nick and S.H.I.E.L.D. would play pivotal roles in all of the Marvel Universe, recently in the Invasion storyline.

As it turns out S.H.I.E.L.D. has been around for centuries and headed up by some of the most notable figures in history, Leonardo Di Vinci being one. Born at the dawn of civilization S.H.I.E.L.D. and its operatives were given the task of protecting Earth and its inhabitants from threats natural and supernatural, terrestrial and celestial.

Throughout time S.H.I.E.L.D. have been responsible for stopping, or assisting in stopping, such threats while maintaining its covert status.

Young Leonid is about to come face-to-face with S.H.I.E.L.D. and a new threat to the Earth and universe on such a grand scale that his father: The Night Machine, has returned from the dead and not far behind him Leonardo Di Vinci. What is the threat? What has S.H.I.E.L.D. and Leonid have to do with it and why the return of Leonardo? I don’t know, but I’m planning on sticking around to find out and you should too. Writer Jonathan Hickman turns in a powerful tour de force story while artist Dustin Weaver will wow you with his artwork. Although Dustin has worked in comic books before there was nothing particularly outstanding in his work.
That has changed! His new pencils and inks are phenomenal! His work reminds me of a cross between Neal Adams, Arthur Adams, Michael Golden and Jim Lee. The detail and mastery of anatomy, perspective and layout is a real treat for the eyes and he tells one heck of a story. Don’t miss it!



No comments:

Post a Comment