Friday, July 30, 2010

DC Comics: The 75th Anniversary Poster Book

Seventy five years!? Hard to believe but DC Comics has been around for 75 years. I've enjoyed reading its comic books for over 50 years. In fact, DC Comics was my introduction to comic books.

When I was five years old I was stuck in a hospital for a week recovering from having my tonsils taken out. Since my Mom couldn't be there the entire time, she came up with a clever way for me to pass the time.

You guessed it-comic books! Each day she would stop by the neighborhood Salvation Army and Good Will stores and pick up a stack of comic books at two for a nickel-most were DC Comics. Occasionally she would buy new issues off the stands at a whopping ten cents each!

I can still remember thrilling to the adventures of the Flash, Green Lantern, the Atom, Adam Strange, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and a library of books filled with DC superheroes, adventure and science fiction titles. Most were Silver Age with the occasional Golden Age surfacing. Of course I had no idea that the books I held would one day go on to be classics and worth a small fortune. I was hooked. From that point on I read comic books-I still do.

DC Comics: The 75th Anniversary Poster Book, with commentary by Robert Schnakenberg and published by Quirk Books, is a treasure trove of classic images. Included in this oversize book are 100 ready-to-frame classic DC comic book covers starting from the Golden Age on up to modern times. On the flip side of each poster is a commentary about the title, anecdotes and recollections by the cover artist along with two additional cover reproductions.

This is what collecting and reading comic books is all about. Flipping though its pages I was swept away by a wave of nostalgia by both the old and new images. It reaffirmed why I love comic books so much.

Buy a copy today, savor every page and image and relive the magic that only DC Comics can deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment