Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5

I teach drawing and Commercial Art/Computer Graphics at a local high school. Before that I was a graphic designer for 25 years so I know the importance of good drawing media and computer software. Without the proper tools it makes my job much more difficult.


One of the frustrations I’ve dealt with over the years is computer drawing software. Don’t get me wrong there are some great programs out there with lots of features. But, so many of them are so complicated and difficult to navigate and to find the proper tools that at times they can be frustrating.


When I was in Commercial Art as a professional, time was of the essence. Deadlines were king and I didn’t always have the time to sit down, read through volumes of instruction manuals, drone through tutorials and attend classes or seminars on how to use particular programs.


Often I would hit the ground running and try my best to learn as I went.


My biggest complaint with computer drawing programs is that none of them, at the time, had friendly interfaces. What I look for in a program is ease-of-use, easy navigation, recognizable icons that show me exactly what tool I’m using, easy switch-over from tool to tool, a wide range of effects such as textures, blending etc. and the ability to move swiftly. “Time is money” as I tell my students.


ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5 delivers all of that and much more. From the moment I pulled the ArtRage screen up on my computer monitor I immediately began using the program. Tools are easy to spot. The effects are immediate. A wide range of drawing tools and media are available and with a few simple clicks I was able to switch from one to the other.


Paint and brushes allowed me to blend and move my colors about as if they were real pigments on paper or canvas. I was able to control the amount of pigment used, easily change colors, effects and even the surfaces painted on.


In an instant I was able to go from sketching mode to inks, paints or whatever other media I choose. ArtRage even has crayon and chalk!


I can transform images, bring images in, save in several formats, customize my tool settings, select specific area of an image or images, pick colors, store color samples, use a Sticker Spray, create my own patterns, trace images (good for the novice artist), blend, create layers, blur, use various effect filters and when my workplace gets cluttered I can even make Pods to avoid using up too much space.


Another neat function is when I moved my drawing or painting tool about tool or function panels would disappear in order to get out my way. Very handy. There’s nothing worse than having a cluttered screen and trying to work around pull down tool panels.


I have several drawing and computer graphic classes and I plan on recommending ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5 to my students. It’s the perfect computer software drawing tool that makes drawing on the computer enjoyable. It can used with a mouse, computer drawing tablet, touch screen or other computer interface. It takes the frustration out of spending too much time learning a program instead of using it.

That’s not to say ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5 is a simple program. It is a well thought out, thorough and professional piece of software obviously designed by designers who understand the importance of creativity and spontaneity. Well done ArtRage.

No comments:

Post a Comment