Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Reynes, Mara and Varanda



I really wish more people here in the United States would pick up and look at the wonderful Sketchbooks published by Comix Buro.
 
They feature some of the best artwork by cartoonists and illustrators Europe has to offer. 
The books come stuffed with illustration of not only completed work by each artist represented but their sketch work also.  I find that especially interesting and enlightening.  As an artist myself I know what it takes to come u with a completed illustration.  I often tell my drawing students that the finished drawing you see is the results of sometimes dozens of sketches and compositions drawn before.

In this go around artists Varanda, Marta and Reynes are spotlighted. Each has their unique style: Varanda’s style tends to more sketchy and detailed with deep shadows and stark lighting. 
Mara is much more whimsical reminiscent of classic cartoons from the 1940’s and 1950s with their slick minimalistic rendering and Reynes art is modern and sophisticated with hints of digital manipulation present.

What I find especially interesting about each artist is that all of them tackle American superheroes in one fashion or another.  Superheroes from the major comic book publishers are represented along with the occasional small press character.  

I wish the American comic book industry would take notice of the Sketchbook artists’ work.  The industry could use a good shot in the arm creatively and the Sketchbook artists are just the ones to administer it.