Monday, November 11, 2013

Chasing The Elusive Dream

Have you ever wanted something so bad you can taste it-or in my case-see it?

It's no secret that I am a comic book nut-especially when it comes to Silver Age comic books.

While I do have a respectable collection of Modern, Bronze, Silver and some Golden Age comics ', Silver age comics are by far my favorites.  That's probably because that's what I grew up on.

I was there when the Marvel Age of comics was born.  I picked up the first Showcase comic book that premiered the new Flash back in the mid-1950s.  I thrilled to the rebirth of superhero comic books and eagerly read as many as I could get my hands on.

Marvel, DC, Harvey, Archie, Gold Key, Tower, Dell: I bought, or at least read, them all.

Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the Doom Patrol, Metamorpho, Nick Fury, the Thunder Agents, Doctor Solar and on and on-I couldn't get enough.  Give me a Silver Age comic book any day over any of the new stuff.

My dream is to find a stash of old Silver Age comic books at a garage sale, flea market, heck-even in some one's trash.  

Every time I pick up an old Silver Age comic book and see the ads for past issues of Thor, Daredevil, the Justice League of America and the countless other Silver Age comics my mind immediately flashes back to when I first read them.

To be sure, I've had my share of good fortune finding old comic books but I have only a fraction of the ones I want.  They're out there-I just have to be at the right place at the right time.

I can feel it!  That time is coming soon and when it does I'll be sure to share it with readers as soon as it happens.  Wish me luck!