Thursday, March 27, 2014

Meanderings

I have a few things on my mind I'd like to share about web publishing.

It's not easy publishing a website and blog-especially in today's climate of super hype and the hunger for audiences.

I do my level best to deliver honest and to-the-point reviews.  I may not have the largest audiences for my website and blog but the numbers are honest.

I find it very difficult to believe the number of visitor claims of some 'other' review websites and blogs.  

Honestly, when a website posts maybe one or two reviews a day (at most) and claims to have in excess of 100,000 visitors per day and most of them 'unique' visitors-the numbers simply do not add up.

To me it isn't the number of new visitors you get on your site or blog, it's the number of 'returning' visitors to your sites.  It's called a loyal audience.

I know why so many false visitor numbers are posted.  One-more visitors-more ad revenue and review material.  Two-ask any IT guy worth his salt he will tell you-software is available to make it seem like there are huge numbers of visitors when all it is is that the software fakes IP addresses.  Some websites even set up programs to visit their own sites repeatedly in automatic mode-again software.

People in manufacturing and publishing businesses need to know that numbers (unique visitors included) can be faked.

Here's another tidbit.  Some websites make links to other websites and every time other websites are visited it counts as visits to the linked website.  Hits do no necessarily mean visitors.  I would rather have a smaller numbers of real visitors that ten times that amount of hits.

To be sure there are some good review sites out there, run by honest people.  But, unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there.

It's easy to set up a website, fake some reviews (some people even plagiarize them) and claim they have large audiences.  Anyone can fake numbers and make it appear they are legitimate.

I guess my point is-web browsers beware.  If the numbers look too good to be true, then they probably are.

Me, I'll stick to loyal readers and an honest growth in visitor numbers.