Thursday, August 27, 2015

Everything Is OK

I'm retired.  I'm 62.  I'm not a kid anymore.  My priorities have changed.

Last night I work up around 1 PM and started thinking about my life, my goals, my family, my faith and ultimately about the end of my life.

For years I struggled with wanting to become a comic book artist only to discover I didn't have what it took: the drive, the patience and most importantly the willingness to dedicate the majority of my life to a single pursuit.

Don't get me wrong.  I've had a good life.  I managed to make a living in the graphic design and commercial art fields and teaching.  There have been some ups and down for sure but I can't complain.

I married a wonderful woman, I have two great kids, I live in a nice house (not luxurious, but comfortable), my mortgage is paid off, my wife and I have our health and are living on a adequate pension and retirement program and most important of all, we both know that Heaven will be our ultimate destination.

I'm a Christian. I make no apologies for that.  I know that God wants everyone to be saved and go to Heaven.  Some people do bad things (and here's what's remarkable to me) he still loves them.

Contrary to what is shown on TV and movies, Christians (true Christians) don't hate anyone.  We may disagree. But we don't hate.

Ultimately we can't tell people how to live. That's something that has be dealt with between God and other people.  We can only tell them of God's love and his plan for salvation and leave it at that.  What happens after that point is between God and them.

As I've grown older my priorities have changed.

It used to be I was jealous of other people's artwork and I didn't like to show off my own because I was afraid of criticism.  Both conditions stemmed from early childhood experiences.  But that's another story.

Now, I've finally come to peace with the my life.  Everything is OK.
God bless the people with tremendous drawing, painting or artistic talent.  Good for them. Especially the young people.

I'm perfectly content dabbling in art.  If something gets done-great!  If not, what does it matter in the larger scope of things?

I'm enjoying spending time with my wife and family.  I get to sleep late.  I don't have to be in a hurry.  And...I can be lazy if I want to.  

My passion has shifted.  Instead of laboring and trudging through life trying to make a living and create, create, create, I enjoy a good book, a pleasant walk, eating out with my wife and friends, attending church and just being still.

My review website and blog have now become my creative outputs.

There is nothing more satisfying and rewarding than reading, perusing and examining various review items.  I really enjoy offering my opinion and from the burgeoning traffic numbers of both my website and blog evidently my readers do to.

I'm so grateful for all of you who have supported me over the years. Thank you to the various companies who have been so generous with their review samples and to those readers who offer their encouragement and constructive criticism.

As I said, I've had (and have) a good life.  Now excuse me while I go back to enjoying what I have left of it.