Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Conventions? Sorry, I’m A No-Show


When I first started collecting and reading comics all those long decades ago, comic book conventions were in their infancy.  In fact, collectible conventions were few and far between.

There would be an occasional toy show or other odd collectible gathering of like-minded souls-mostly older folks.  Very few young people attended said shows.

I attended comic book/toy conventions sporadically throughout  the 1960s and 1970s.  The 198s0 were a blur as I was busy with my career and raising my kids.

During the 1990s I went to a couple shows and I even attended a few in the early 2000s.

I’ve not been back since.


My reasons:


1: There were too many people.


2: The same vendors showed up with every show-with the same merchandise.


3: Pop culture celebrities charged for their autographs and it always seemed to be the same people-many of which had starred in old movies and TV shows.


4: ‘Hot’ celebrity lines were ridiculously long.


5:  Many of the ‘collectors’ were simply inn it for the money and many had no inkling of comic book history.


6: Back issue and old toy process were ridiculously high.


7: No one seemed to realize that much of the merchandise advertised as ‘hot’ wouldn’t be worth the paper they were printed on or the plastic they were molded from in a few years.

8: Many convention goers were rude, loud and pushy.


9: When I did find someone (a fellow collection or celebrity) that was knowledgeable and approachable other conversation-goers rudely interrupted our conversation.


10: Conventions entry fees were way too expensive as were the food, local accommodations and parking.


11: Cosplay and costumes had gotten way out of hand.  


I could go on and on.  I know I sound like an old fuddy duddy. But, to me conventions should be about conversation, a shared love of collecting and the chance to meet up with friends and make new ones.


Today’s conventions are more like a cattle call.  Everyone is anxious to meet big name stars, grab the next big deal and dream of the fortune they will make from selling autograph books or photos, rushing to get their books slabbed and sold for inflated prices and doing things they normally wouldn’t do in a civilized setting.  

Conventions have become virtual Mardi Gras!


I prefer trade shows where I meet industry professionals, chat with celebrities and see what publishers and manufacturers have in store without all the flash and hoopla.


I’m old school.  I believe in being polite and not pushing myself on famous individuals.  I respect artists and performers and the tremendous talent they possess and amount of time and effort it takes to create 2D or 3D art and TV shows and movies.


I believe the love of collecting comes first-not how much something is worth or the whole ‘what’s its condition’ mentality.


Let’s be serious, we’re talking about comic books and toys for goodness sake!  They are objects of entertainment-that’s it!  Take them away and life goes on.


I’m not saying they shouldn’t be enjoyed or taken care of.  They are wonderful forms of escapism and I admire and appreciate those companies and individuals who produce them.


Take them for what they are and enjoy them, share them, read them and take them out of their boxes!