Monday, December 24, 2018

Wrinkles, Brain Boosters, The Cold War and Flight


It’s hard to believe but in just a little over a month from now I’ll be 66 years old.  Where did the time go? 

Mentally I still feel like a young man.  My body says otherwise.  Ouch!

Carlton Books feels my pain and has released two new books addressing getting older.

In Wrinkles Wiser & Wittier (really?), writers Allison Vale and Alison Rattle offer readers (where are my glasses?) a whimsical collection of quotations from entertainingly experienced individuals.

I’ll translate: it’s a bunch of Smart Alex remarks from old folks such as myself!

We old folks may be loosing our brain cells and our bodies are falling apart but at least we have our humor.  I should hope so-we don’t have much else left.  And even if we did, we’re too tired to take advantage of it.

Equally hilarious is Wrinkles Growing Old Disgracefully (I hardily agree!) by Mike Haskins and Clive Whichelow, which proves that growing older doesn’t necessarily mean growing up.

As my old boss used to say, “I may be getting older, but at least I’m immature!”  Amen brother!

Just because someone is getting older doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy life and have fun.

I’m getting older.  I’m not dead-yet!

Older people are enjoying more activities today than ever before.  Dancing, extreme sports and other activities deemed suitable for the ‘younger generation’ are no longer off-limits to the aging.

Of course, as the book suggests, not everyone is ready for party hardy, go to the beach, cause a ruckus and fashion failure old folks.  Trust me, I’ve seen the look young people give me when I ‘don’t act my age.’

One of the secrets to staying young is to challenge your brain. Try new things, follow your dreams and train your brain to solve problems.

A good way to do that is with Brain Boosters Beginner Puzzles that is for training busy brains.

The book contains over 200 puzzles of all sorts that start off easy and get more difficult. 

Sudoku, riddles, Latin Squares and code-braking are just of the few fun activities that challenge your gray matter and help boost your memory, cognitive skills and problem solving capabilities.

For most of my life I lived under the shadow of a nuclear holocaust.

The Eastern and Western Blocks were on a face-off scenario that pitted East against West in a dangerous game of nuclear Russian Roulette where nobody would win.

Fortunately in 1989 all of that stopped, but the horrible memories still remain.

In Norman Friedman’s The Cold War Threat, Paranoia And Oppression readers discover how it all started and ended.

Journey from the Iron Curtain to the collapse of Communism in a fascinating and often disturbing visual and written journey when Armageddon was a real possibility.

Learn about the Cold War from all sides.

Archival photos, charts, propaganda and other documents combined with engrossing text to make a powerful statement about the threat of nuclear war.

From the creation of the Iron Curtain, the Berlin Airlift, and the Korean War, nuclear proliferation, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Berlin Wall and on to the falling of the Wall, discover the politics, espionage and near disasters that brought near catastrophe and thankfully an end to the hostilities-for now.

I’ve always been interested in aircraft.

In Flight The Evolution Of Aviation, by Stephen Woolford and Carl Warner, the swift evolution of balloons and gliders to heavier than air aircraft starting with the Wright bothers, to WWI, WWII, commercail flight, to the Jet Age and onward are presented as the book follows the progress of man in flight.

Photos, illustrations, documents and comprehensive text all combine to make this an absorbing read.

Learn all about the pioneers of flight, key and historical events, the development of war aircraft, breaking the sound barrier, airships and much more in this remarkable account of man’s successful attempt to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment