Tuesday, January 15, 2019

What To Do?


“Baby, it’s cold outside!”

Here in North Florida the weather is anything but predictable.  One day it's hot, the next day it’s hovering around freezing.

Today is one of those cold days.  It’s chilly, especially for a Floridian.

Northerners will probably laugh when I say that 40 degrees is cold.  After all, in my home state of Michigan it was not unusual for the temperature to be below zero in the winter.

In Florida when the weather gets ‘cold’ there’s not much to do.

Read, write, watch TV and do inside chores--all pretty mundane activities.

In my case, my boredom level is practically nil.  I want to do something. 

I thought about pulling out of my comic book collection the ‘hot’ comics and compiling them all together in a separate spot-maybe even making a wall display.

But, what’s the point?  Recently I separated all the hot Silver Age and Bronze Age comic books into separate long boxes-along with the current ‘must have’ issues.

Seems rather redundant to separate them even more.

I could rearrange my Man Cave (for the umpteen time) or price my collectible toys for sale at a later date.

Again, why repeat myself?  Besides, at the rate toys keep changing prices, if I price them now I’ll only have to go back and price them again when I do decide to sell.

I could write something-like now.  I have several ideas and story concepts I’ve outlined-completing them is something I have trouble with.

I could draw, except drawing doesn’t have the allure it used to have to me.  After having worked in Commercial Art for 25 years and then having taught it for 11 years, I’m a bit burned out.

I’ve already contacted literally hundreds of publishers and merchandise manufacturers for review items-numerous times.

It’s time to stop, before I make a nuisance of myself.

What to do?  What to do?

I suppose I could wait for the Post Office, Fed-Ex or UPS to deliver review samples, reread a few comic books, make a few notes and jot down a few more ideas, putz around the house finding things to fix or work on, wait patiently until my grandson shows up this afternoon, call a few friends, read my Bible, pray, formulate a plan to up my blog traffic and garner new ‘friends’ on Facebook, find a way to keep the chill off, see if my wife has anything she needs done or just sit and vegetate.

I enjoy being retired full-time.  However, there are days, like today, that working on an ad campaign or teaching a room full of rowdy high school students doesn’t seem like bad ideas.

I’ll be 66 years old in a couple of weeks and I don’t want to spend my last years sitting around, growing older and weaker and becoming one with my easy chair.

I can’t picture myself as a sedentary senor citizen.

So, I’ll brush myself off, finish this article, post it and hope for the best.

I'm sure there is something I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment