Thursday, February 21, 2019

Out Of Touch And I Don’t Mind

Like most people when they are young I could not understand older folks, especially parents.

They always seemed behind the times.  They took a long time to warm up to any new technology or innovation.

In my youth it was color TV, wash and wear cloths, cassette players, quad-stereos, anti-lock brakes, the latest music and the list goes on and on.

Talking to an ‘older’ person was often frustrating, drawn out and ultimately futile.  We had little in common.

As I grew older I pretty much kept up with emerging technologies, social changes, growing communication avenues and cultural changes such as fashion, entertainment and the like.

But, as with everyone, I aged.  I found that I (like the old folks I dealt with in my youth) started to get intimidated by new forms of communication and technology, social norms, political affiliations and the complexity of living day-to-day in this ever-changing world.

I have become my parents, with all the responsibilities of a grown-up.  I have difficulty keeping up with the swift pace of change, recognizing hot trends and accepting how radically society is changing around me-much of it not for the good.

And that’s OK.  I’m content to talk to people face-to-face instead of communication on Facebook, Twitter and the plethora of other social networks.

No longer am I swayed by fashion changes, the latest and greatest gadgets, popularity and trends that seem to change minute-by-minute.

I’m old, content, in no hurry, appreciative of what I have achieved and have, love my family and friends, attend church, like slow and quaint vacations and activities, enjoy sitting down with a good book, watching old movies or TV shows and relishing quiet times.

Youth has its advantages and moments but it is all too fleeting.

Old age creeps up on you slowly, rests easy on your shoulders and the wonderful reality is that you have to please or impress no one.

Growing old is not for cowards.  But once you get used to it, you’ll never want back to being young-it takes too much work!

No comments:

Post a Comment