Thursday, March 28, 2019

Comic Books On The Cheap


If you’re as budget conscious (cheap) as I am and are on a fixed income, or very little income, and you love comic books, it’s very discouraging to go to a comic book shop or bookstore and look at the prices charged for a single comic book.

Since I am retired and can no longer afford to buy comic books on a weekly basis I had to look for less expensive or free ways to read comic books.

Granted a lot of free e-book comic books are online and that’s fine.  I prefer a comic book that I can pick up, flip through its pages and put in a comic book box or place on a bookshelf.

After a little searching I found some cheap and free ways to do just that.

There are number of retail stores that offer great deals on graphic novel trade paperbacks and comic books.

Ollie’s has a boatload of DC, Marvel and small press trade paperback comic book collections at a fraction of the cost of those found in regular comic book shops and bookstores.  I just picked up a Harlequin TPB that included a Harley mask for five bucks!

Ollie’s also offers value packs of back-issue comic books and MAD magazines really cheap.  I also found some hardbound books about the history of comic books at great prices.

Dollar Tree occasionally offers one-dollar back-issue three-packs.  Walmart has its own line of mega-size DC Comic for $4.99 and Target has started producing it own line of DC Comics.  Five Below has special four packs of DC Rebirth comic books.

I’m sure there are other retailers that offer discount comic book collections.  I’ve listed just the ones I know of.

Sometimes old comic books can be found at used books stores, pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, Craigslist and antique stores.

If you have no budget for comic books, local libraries usually carry a wide variety of trade paperbacks.

All it takes is a little effort and perseverance on your part and you’ll be surprised what you’ll find to satiate your comic book addiction.

Good luck and good hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment