Sunday, April 7, 2019

Where Has The Time Gone?


When I approached and thoroughly entrenched myself into my thirties the 1980s were in full swing.

VCRs were the latest and hottest thing, DVDs were just starting to be introduced, personal computers for the home were still a few years away, cell phones were as big as bricks and just about as heavy and cable and satellite TV had just reared their multi-media heads.

Most American homes had color TVs and three channel choices: ABC, NBC and CBS (save for the fortunate few who could afford cable), along with PBS and occasionally broadcasts from Canada if you lived close to the border.

TV shows consisted mostly of sophomoric comedies, game shows, soap operas (primetime and daytime), some variety shows (that were disappearing fast) a few fantasy and science fiction shows and a boatload of cop and detective shows.

My wife and I had our favorites that we watched on a consistent basis:  M.A.S.H. (gotta love Hawkeye), The Fall Guy, Simon and Simon, Magnum P.I. (the mustache ruled!), Moonlighting, Newhart, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Miami Vice, The A Team (a guilty pleasure), The Wonder Years, The Cosby Show (yes, that Cosby!), Pee Wee’s Playhouse and Murder She Wrote.

All offered good, clean fun with very little blatant sex and violence (sex and violence tended to be innuendo and non-graphic with no filthy language).

I still enjoy watching many of these shows on DVD and on You Tube.

They were the shows of my youth.  I was young, virile, full of energy, mid-career and taking on life full-tilt. 

The shows were a welcome respite from the day-to-day struggle and doldrums of work, raising a family and coping with life’s unexpected surprises.

Now that I am older, settled in my ways, less prone to exertion, and unafraid to voice my opinion I like to momentarily slip back in time, relish my youth and remember how it seemed like my life would go on forever.

I’ve grown old, our family and friends shrink in numbers each years as more pass away, our kids are grown and the things that seemed so important and urgent when we were young seem so trivial now.

It’s said that time heals all wounds and that’s true.  But the passage of time also brings on the realization that life is only temporary and the things that really matter are friends, family and God.

So, forgive me, as I wax nostalgic.  I’ll never be young again, at least physically.  But inside, I’m as young and full of promise as I ever was-only I’m too tired to do anything about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment