Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Blessing Of Second (Third, Fourth, Fifth......) Chances

I’m a Christian-I make no bones about it or apology for it.

I believe that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on the cross and paid the price for my sins.  I accepted his free gift on February 1, 1978.

No amount of good works or self-improvement on my part had anything to do with my salvation.  God did it all and that’s the way it should be.

I encourage anyone seeking God to consider my words and accept God’s free gift of salvation.  All it takes is a realization that you are a sinner, no amount of ‘works’ on your part will save you, accept and believe Christ died on the cross for you sins, accept his free gift and you will be saved.  It’s that simple.
  
In this article when I refer to a blessing I’ve narrowed it down to a specific subject: my reviews

As many of you know I’ve been writing reviews for almost 28 years.
 
Collectors’ Corner started out as a single-page printed newsletter and has blossomed into a blog, Facebook page, Twitter account and a Linked-in account.

Collectors’ Corner’s readership has grown over the years.  It’s not incredibly big, but respectable.  The majority of those who choose to read my reviews are collectors.

Over the past several years review samples provided by publishers and manufacturers have dwindled.  It is not uncommon for me to receive one to two samples a week.

At one point I could expect to get samples everyday.

But, times have changed.  With the advent of the web more and more companies are cutting back on sending samples as the web allows them to promote their merchandise practically for free.

The proliferation of YouTube and other ‘review’ outlets has stretched promotional material out so that only a select few outlets (most with huge audience numbers) receive samples.

That’s OK, that’s business.

I could whine and complain about the unfairness of it all-but why bother?

It is what it is.  I hold no malice or bad feelings toward any individuals or companies. 

What I do have...is hope.  I’ve discovered over the years of my Christian life that when God takes something away he always replaces it with something better.

In my case I may have lost a lot of review possibilities but I’ve gained so much more.

I was taking what God has given me for granted: my wife, my kids, my family, my friends, my health, my finances, my church and so much more.

God has given me the time to reflect on my life and to reprioritize my wants and needs.  I’m grateful.

I would be a liar if I said it has been easy-growth never is.  But it was necessary.

I don’t believe in ‘name it and claim it‘.  It simply isn’t scriptural.  God never promised our lives would be without pain and struggles.  What he does promise is that he will be with us through it all.

While I was visiting my brother in Michigan last week it suddenly struck me.  It was almost kike God whispered in my ear and assured me that something remarkable was about to happen.

I’m excited (and a little afraid) to see what’s next.

I’ve learned to trust God (it took me long enough).  I don’t know what tomorrow will bring.  If I did, I may not to go there.

What I do know is that God promised to be by my side, to carry me if necessary and to trust him--completely.  That’s not easy to do.

God knows all about my personality quirks, fears, likes, dislikes, my strengths and weaknesses and how I think, feel and perceive the world and yet he still loves me-unconditionally.

I’m no super-Christian.  I have my moments of doubt, anger, frustration, fear and anxiety.  I also have hope and the promise that God is the God of second and infinite chances.

And that’s a good thing.  God knows, I’ve messed up enough.

As far as the reviews go I would like to continue doing them.  I enjoy writing them.  I also enjoy collecting.

God willing, both will continue.  If God so chooses to bless both the sky’s the limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment