Saturday, May 18, 2019

When The Past Was The Present

Let’s be honest.  Many people living today tend to think that the problems, changes and solutions of the current times they are living in is the be-all and end-all.

Or to put it another way.  A large portion of the population is egocentric or narcissistic.  In their opinion those who lived in the past did not deal with the same problems or situations that they deal with today.

For an example: global climate change. 

Many scientists and individuals believe that the Earth’s temperature is raising and will soon result in massive flooding.

Barely 50 years ago, individuals who also believed in climate change, surmised that the climate was getting colder and the Earth would soon be plunged into a new ice age.

I’m not here to argue climate change-pro or con.  I’m attempting to make a point.

Despite the advances and social environment we find ourselves into today, entire generations before us also experienced pain, happiness, want, friendship, love, daily struggles and the like.

Soon I’ll be visiting my hometown in Michigan. 

I’m sure when I get there things will look entirely different.  Businesses I frequented when I was young will ether be gone, the buildings they occupied changed or even torn down.

My old stomping grounds will be vaguely familiar. 

Sure, the streets may have the same names and the layout of the town will be somewhat altered but my memories, my past (at one time my present) will not line up with what exists now.

It’s kind of sad.  I have to admit I feel somewhat melancholy.  Old friends, classmates, relatives and those people that I saw on a daily basis will have changed, aged or passed on.

All over our country small towns that were once prosperous and full of life have dwindled in population, stores have closed and houses have decayed and succumbed to time.

Where once people lived and worked have become little more than shadows of their former selves populated only with the ghosts of the past and vermin, weeds and decay.

I encourage you to take a day, ride around and discover abandoned old buildings.  If possible, explore and for a moment ponder the fact that each place once housed living, breathing people with their own dreams, aspirations and plans.



No one expects to die.  Visit a cemetery and look at the tombstones.  Each one marks a spot where the remains of a person rests. 

Cradled in the dirt is all that remains of individuals who loved, had a family and friends, worked, paid bills, planned for the future and watched themselves grow old, bent-over, sick and feeble.

Look around-the past is alive.

One day, if Christ tarries his return, someone will be looking down at your grave and briefly-oh so briefly, realize that you too were alive, young, vibrant and full of promise.

Life is far too short and precious.  Days race by and once youthful features and physiques shrivel, wrinkle and ultimately give into the years.

While there is still time, love your family and friends, appreciate them for the persons they are, cast away old hurts and past failures, embrace each day with a renewed sense of wonder.

For no day, hour, minute or second can be experienced again once they pass by. 

Make peace with God.  Make peace with yourself and others. Forgive yourself and others. 

The present is fleeting and before you know it will be the past.  This life is only the beginning.  Enjoy each day and hold it close.  Receive it as the precious gift it is.

I intend to spend time with my surviving brother, because I may never see him again in this life. I plan on basking myself in the warm company of old friends and family.

I will explore every nook and cranny of my hometown and wallow in the memories it stirs within me. 

For a moment, a very precious moment, I will be young again, full of promise and potential with my whole life in front of me.

And then it will be over and I will return to the present with something new: an appreciation for those people I have known, the wonderful times I have experienced and an anticipation as to what comes next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment