Monday, September 16, 2019

Mary Poppins, The Lion King and Yesterday’s Tomorrow


OK, give me a minute.  I’m just about ready to geek out!  Breath deep.  One. Two.  Focus. Focusssss.

Whew, that was close.  I almost had a serious Disney freak out. 

I love Walt Disney Studios.  I was a kid when the original Mousketeers (The Mickey Mouse Club) show was on TV in the 1950s and Disney premiered its Disneyland TV series.

You might know it as The Wonderful World Of Color, hosted by the man himself: Walt Disney.

I remember watching Art Linkletter host the opening of Disneyland.  Yeah, I’m that old.

I’ve seen all of Disney’s animated movies from Snow While on and most of the live-action movies.

Now that Disney has expanded to include Marvel Comics, Pixar and other properties I find myself absolutely deluged by awesome cinema magic.

So, you can see why I got so excited when Disney Editions so generously provided three of its books to review.

Way back in 1964 I heard from friends and family about a new Disney movie that everyone was raving about.

It was based on the classic series of kids’ books starring Mary Poppins-the original super nanny.

While I had never heard of Mary Poppins books before I did see a few movie trailers touting the movie.  It looked fantastic and it was a musical!

How could I loose?

That Saturday I went to my town’s single screen movie theater and watched the movie through twice!

I could not get the film out of my head, especially the songs.

Recently Walt Disney Studios released a follow up movie to the original Mary Poppins film.

Mary Poppins Returns occurs approximately 25 years after the original film. It is every bit as enchanting and fun as the first film.

Everything looks the same-even the rooftops and streets.  Amazing!

Writer Jeff Kurtti has put together an incredible new book about both Mary Poppins films called Practically Poppins In Every Way.



(Did you know there was a TV version of Mary Poppins and a sensational Broadway show?)

The gorgeous, oversize hardbound book features an extensive gallery of photos from both films. 

There are oodles of behind-the-scenes goodies including set designs, costumes, character profiles, commentaries, production art, practical and digital effects, song and dance setups and more-oh, so much more!

There’s plenty of film history, anecdotes, storyboards, concept art and every conceivable type of information, secrets and film magic included.

It’s a jolly holiday and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

In The Art And Making Of The Lion King author Michael Goldman takes on the new computer animated film: The Lion King.

My daughter and her friends went to see the film and came away blown away!

She loved the classic animated original and feel in love with new version.

“It was perfect!” were her exact words.

I love the book’s cover with its spot varnish and matt background.  It really makes the type pop!

Inside readers are invited to experience the genesis of the film, marvel at the production art, be amazed at the whole scope of the movie and be astonished by the realism recreated for the film.

As a professional designer I was very impressed by the skill of the computer animation artists-everything in the film looks incredibly real.

Every aspect of the film is explored from character designs, environments, story layouts, plotting, the soundtrack, voice actors and actresses, interviews with production staff, pre and post production, marketing and more.

It is a beautiful, oversize hardbound book designed to look like it is printed on parchment paper.  Soft, muted colors, carefully designed pages, impressive layouts and simple type that does not detract from the images make this book a true masterpiece of print and design.

When I used to watch the Disney TV show my favorite features dealt with the magic behind the Disneyland theme park, spotlights on innovative technology, flights of fancy about space travel, mass transit, futuristic living and the possibilities of the future.

Don Hahn’s Yesterday’s Tomorrow presents a look at Disney’s Magical Mid Century.

What a wonderful stroll down Memory Lane!

I absolutely love looking at the designs of Disneyland, its rides and attraction, glimpses of imagined future technologies, the optimistic visions of tomorrow and Walt’s illustrated plans for expanding Disneyland and the projected Disneyworld.

Vintage photos, concept art, glimpses of the magic of imagineering and audioanimatronics and the incredible imaginations of the Disney artists are mesmerizing!

This book brings so many fond memories of a simpler time when the future held so much promise.  It was contagious!

Tomorrow never looked so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment