Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Marvel Team-Up Annual and Not Brand Echh

Back in 1976 during the Bronze Age of comic books, Marvel Team-Up Annual #1 featured one of the first crossover events guest-starring The New X-Men.

Spider-Man joined The New X-Men in a double the action, double the thrills adventure as they faced off against a new threat.

A new team of villains fashioned after Hindu Mythology fought Spidey and The New X-Men.

Spidey and The New X-Men had to stop them before their pre-planned deaths.  For if they died, the earth died with them.

The issue featured a Dave Cockrum cover (the artist on The Uncanny X-Men).

The book spotlighted The New X-Men and their ability to fight as team, despite their cultural differences.

When Stan Lee still occupied The Bullpen he was never afraid to make fun of himself, the Marvel Universe or its Distinguished Competition.

By the mid-1960s the  ‘Marvel style” was thoroughly established.

Other publishers tried to copy Marvel’s success but couldn’t quite pull it off.

Confident in the uniqueness of Marvel Comics Stan created a new monthly comic book that not only made fun of Marvel Comics but also comic books from other publishers.


Thus was born Not Brand Echh, the comic magazine for non-believers who hate comic magazines.

Issue #1 introduced the mascot of the title: Forbush Man and proceeded to make fun of The Fantastic Four, Marvel Westerns, the original Human Torch, The Submariner and Sgt. Fury And His Howling Commandos.

Art was provided by Marvel greats Jack Kirby, Marie and John Severin, Ross Andre and Bill Everett.

“Who says a comic book has to be good?”

Not Brand Eech was insane, absurd and a whole lot of fun to read.

I’d like to interject here for just a moment.

I’ve been a comic book and pop culture collector most of my life.  I have been truly blessed that I’ve got to enjoy my hobby and had the opportunity and privilege of writing reviews for going on 28 years.

I do not take that responsibility lightly nor do I take credit for the success of my blog and other social media sites.

I than God everyday for allowing me to enjoy my hobby and the passion I have for it.

But, that passion can never replace my love for my Savior Jesus Christ.

Without him I would be nothing.  I know my weaknesses and my shortcomings.

I also know that I’m not smart enough on my own to do what I’ve done the last 20 plus years. 

God has blessed my family and me tremendously and I own him my life.  I would be and would have nothing without him.

Believe me when I say I am a hard nut to crack.  I’m stubborn, impatient, lack compassion on many occasions and am a work in progress.

Thank God I may not be completely who I need to be, but I’m a lot farther along than I used to be.

If you’re reading this I encourage to ask Jesus Christ to save you.  It’s not about going to church, giving money and following a bunch of rules.  It’s about a relationship with a Savior who loves you as you are-blemishes and all.

All it takes is to recognize you’re a sinner, ask Jesus to forgive you and to save you and he will.

No following a bunch of rules, no self-improvement or trying to impress God will get you to heaven, only faith in God‘s saving grace.  It’s a free gift.  God will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment