Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Almost To A Stop

For 27 years I’ve reviewed toys, comic books, books and various other collectibles first in print and then on the internet with a website, blog and now a Facebook page, a Twitter account and a Linked-In account.

Readership has slowly increased over the years and while the numbers aren’t in the six figure range they are respectable.

It used to be I could contact publishers and manufacturers and receive review samples with no problem.

Times have changed.

With the proliferation of online blogs, websites, YouTube channels and other social media outlets review samples are getting more and more difficult to obtain because of the sheer numbers of requests companies receive.

Add that to the fact that many companies are cost cutting when it comes to samples and advertising and the numbers dwindle even more.

It’s a no-win scenario.

Still, I am hopeful.

Eventually companies will realize that review sites come and go but Boyce McClain’s Collectors’ Corner will endure as it has for almost 30 years.

I’ve witnessed hundreds of publications and online sites that have started out on fire and inevitably the fire burns out and they disappear.

Those that do survive have learned to adapt to the times and most (not all) turn out respectable content and context and deserve to survive and prosper.

Probably the most difficult thing I have to deal with when it comes to requesting review samples is the inconsistencies prevalent with many companies.

One month I may receive samples and will continue to do so for several months after on a regular basis.

A company’s editorial and public relations departments institute new review sample rules and replace representatives resulting in review samples drying up.

Companies are businesses and need to make money-I understand that.

But to simple drop me off a reviewer’s list and then not to notify me is just plain rude.

Not only is it rude it is inconsiderate and results in a total readjustment to my review postings.

Products can be expensive and review samples are limited to sites that pull in huge numbers.  No problem.

But when I request a single inexpensive toy, book or other sample to review and I am promised to receive said items and nothing shows up, its frustrating.

Show some common courtesy.  How difficult is it to send an email or make a phone call?

I want my online presence to grow and continue to provide reviews.  I need help.

I am not a wealthy man.  I cannot afford to buy items (even at a discount) on a regular basis.

I want to review items.  I need the support of publishers and manufacturers to do so.

If anyone from either type of those businesses is reading this-please cut me some slack and provide review samples.

It’s targeted publicity and all it costs is product.

No comments:

Post a Comment