Saturday, March 21, 2020

Coronavirus and More

As I write this the country is in the throws of the Coronavirus shutdown.  Restaurants are closed except for take-out, delivery and drive-thru.  People are discouraged from meeting in groups of more than ten.  

Parks are closed, as are amusement venues. Retailers can’t seem to keep toilet paper, paper towels and disinfectants in stock.

Small businesses are on the verge of closing down permanently. The president has activated his wartime powers and businesses and the government are combining their vast resources to create an anti-virus and provide much needed medical supplies and facilities.

Hopefully in just a few weeks relief checks will be sent out to those that need them, utility companies are canceling power and water shutoffs, many fees are being cancelled or delayed by various government and public sectors and the Internal Revenue has delayed the tax deadline.

The American people are pulling together and hopefully the United States and the world will soon have the virus licked and things can go back to normal. 

Am I worried?  No. Concerned?  A little.

I know who is in control through all of life’s ups and downs.  I trust God and put my faith in him.  As a Christian my life is in his hands and despite circumstances I know that God has a plan.

I feel for those who don’t have God’s peace.  To get it all you have to do is know you are a sinner, believe Jesus Christ died for your sins and ask God for forgiveness.  He’ll save you.  All it takes is faith, trust and obedience.

Easy-peezy.

A lot (or I should say-not a lot) has been happening with Boyce McClain’s Collectors’ Corner.  Review samples have practically dried up.  Few manufacturers or publishers send samples, let alone answer my emails.

For those that do, I’m grateful.

I’ve switched things up and now I write a lot of retro reviews about comic books and toys.  As new items come in, I review them.

Plain and simple--I enjoy writing reviews and commentaries.

I realize times are tough and companies are getting selective with their review samples.  I understand.  Budgets are budgets.  It’s not just me that is having to adjust to the change.

But, if there is one thing I’ve learned as a Christian: God has a way of turning things around.  Should he decide to end review samples or to restore things as they were-that is his prerogative and right.  I will abide with whatever he has planned.

Life is far too short to be stressed out about things as trivial as the latest book or toy.  It’s not that I don’t appreciate the samples, it’s that in the large scale of things they are not that important.  They decay, rust, turn to dust and eventually blow away.

For me, I plan on using the time God has given me to good use, find things to do while the Coronavirus shutdown is going on and keep on keeping on.

Shortages, inconvenience and a break in routine are all things that can change at any moment.  God is good, despite the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment