Saturday, March 14, 2020

Lantern, Knife, Trekking Pole, Compass and Blanket


I watch a lot of videos on YouTube.  Lately I’ve gravitated to videos about camping, survival, RV living and traveling.

I’ve always been big on being prepared.  Whenever a disaster comes around my wife are not the kind of people that rush out at the last moment to pick up supplies. 

We keep a full food l
arder and know how to prep for a hurricane, power outages, food rationing and the like.

We’re not survivalists by any means.  It’s just that we are older (both of us are in our mid-60s) and have learned a few things over the years.

Whenever we go on a trip (we just drove to Virginia and back to see our new granddaughter) we are prepared with a backpack full of camping gear and extra car supplies.  It pays to be prepared.

Even when I’m riding my bike I carry a small emergency kit with me including a knife, tools, etc.

If you’ve been a reader of my blog for any amount of time you know I mainly concentrate on collectibles.

But, since more and more people are taking to the road, camping and into survival gear I thought it would be a good idea to expand my reviews.

AceCamp puts out a number of camping supplies and they were kind enough to send a few to look over and review.

From my initial examination of the items I can state that they are well-made, rugged, nicely designed and easy to use.

One of the most important items you can have while camping at night, on the road when it’s dark and for general use is a good lamp.  I’m not talking about a flashlight-I’m talking big time illumination power.



AceCamp’s Camping Lantern with Highly Efficient LED
is the perfect source of light.

It features an easy push button function for dimming or flashing the light.  Four settings are available in all.

The clever design allows the LED bulb to reflect off the interior silver mirrored surface and intensify the light.  It’s almost blinding!

The heavy-duty casing protects the light from spills and falls and the twin-side tri-bumper sections protect the lantern even more.

Two flip up and down handles allow you to hang the lantern from a tree, pole or etc. and the heavy, rubber-coated non-skid base keeps the lantern secure and in place wherever you place it.

Three ‘D’ batteries come with the lantern and are wrapped in plastic so they won’t work until you remove the plastic and install them in the lantern base.

The base opens easily and in a snap you’ll have all the light you’ll need for a long period due to the LED bulbs.

The upper lid easily screws off to allow you to replace the LED bulbs when necessary.

I’m always looking for a good pocketknife.  It needs to be sharp, quick to use and multi-purpose.


The Tactical Series 4 Function Utility Knife with 5 Lumen USB Rechargeable Light fits the ticket perfectly.

A simple pull of the stainless steel blade and it snaps into place secure and ready to use.  Simply push the restraining clip and the knife folds back into place. 

The heavy-duty construction gives the knife a good hefty feel perfect for someone like me.  I have large hands and the knife fits in my palm and fingers perfectly.

The knife also includes an Emergency Glass Breaker (great for shattering car windows if trapped), a Hanging Buckle and a very comfortable Soft Touch Swith.

The coolest feature about the knife is the 5 Lumen LED Light that comes with a USB Charging Cable.

Once charged you can push a soft button switch and viola!-you have instant light perfect for finding keys, maneuvering in the dark and for in case of emergencies. 

I love to walk.  The only problem is I’m getting older and my legs aren’t quite as strong as they used to be.  My sense of balance could use some help.


The AceCamp External Lock Trekking Pole is just the ticket.  It’s soft form-fitting handle, adjustable wrist strap and solid construction holds up on the toughest treks.

The telescoping twin-section pole allows users to easily adjust for height and the Eternal Locks keep the pole rock solid.  A protective cup covers the ground tip when not in use and is easily removed and reattached.

Dubbed the Duralumin 7075 the Trekking Pole is perfect for walkers, trekkers and anyone who plans on traveling even the most rugged terrain.

A small-extended guard at the end of the pole keeps it from digging too deeply into soft earth and offers additional support and security.

It’s hard to find a good, reliable compass.  All too often compasses will stick, fail to register the direction correctly and are inaccurate in some outdoor situations.


The Folding Map Compass comes with a Reflective Mirror for signaling emergencies, a Protective Lid, a Lanyard, a Rotating Compass Ring, a Scale for measuring length and distance and is liquid-filled assuring no mistakes.

What good is a compass when you’re lost if it doesn’t work?  You never have to worry about AceCamp’s Folding Map Compass Mirror.

After careful testing I can attest that it points perfectly north and does not deviate regardless of the surface it rests upon.

How do you keep warm in an emergency?  What if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and the temperature is rapidly dropping?  You need something for protection and you need it fast.  The same holds true in camping and/or survival situations.

Big bulky blankets and sleeping bags take up a lot of room and are difficult to transport.


The Silver Color Emergency Blanket weights only 40g and opens out to 140 X 220 CM.

Trust me, it covers me with room to spare and I’m six foot tall.

It’s windproofed and waterproofed, reflects body heat and folds easily back into its small, convenient baggie.   It remains elastic below freezing and its perfect for any emergency situation.  And best of all it’s easy to transport and is lightweight.

All of the AceCamp products I just reviewed come in heavy-duty packaging, are easy to use and store and are rugged enough to last for years.
 

I plan on using the Walking Poles on my next trek, keeping the Knife with me at all times, storing the Blanket in my car emergency pack, keeping the Compass in the glove compartment and having the Lantern handy around the house should we have a power outage.

Be sure to check out AceCamp’s website for other great products.

No comments:

Post a Comment