Saturday, May 4, 2019

I Am Blessed

“I am blessed.”

That’s three words I never thought I’d say.

Let me explain.

I am the fourth son of a single mom-now deceased.

We were poor-dirt poor.

We moved a lot.  We ate a boatload of government surplus food and didn’t live in the best of surroundings.

My older brothers were moved out and married by the time I was six years old-effectively making me a lone child.

Mom was a lousy money manager and I learned at a young age that if I wanted anything I would have to pay for it myself.

I worked a lot of paper routes and stock boy positions.

I’m not faulting my mom-it’s just the way things were.

We were poor, often short of money, but overall I had a great childhood. 

Great friends and family, a wonderful small town to live in and lots of fun stuff to do as a kid and teenager all combined to make my young life enjoyable.

I graduated high school, attended college and moved to Florida where I met my wife.  We married forty years ago, adopted two great kids, I had steady work (not always the best mind you), we attended church and made a lot of friends and had/have some pretty cool relatives.

We struggled sometimes, but we paid the bills, had food to eat, cloths to wear, a place to live and best of all--we had each other.

I’m retired now and it hit me.

I’ve found myself regretting many of the decisions and choices I made early in my life.  I resented the hard times I lived through and most of all I was mad about the unrealized dreams I held for so long.

I’m an artist who never gained his full potential, a frustrated writer, a man slightly out of step with society and a bit of a daydreamer.

I’ve caught myself focusing on my own destiny and dreams and ignoring those around me.  I tend to zone out and dwell too much on my inner thoughts.

Suddenly it struck me (I thank God he pointed this out to me) that I need to change.  I need to cherish each day, concentrate on what’s going on around me and most of all--to appreciate, love and honor my loved ones.

God willing and with his help I will.

I intend to relish the writing and creative endeavors God permits me to do and be appreciative of everything and everyone he has blessed me with.

We have paid off our home, owe no money, have a comfortable retirement, have good health and have more than we need.

Both my wife and I are saved.  Hopefully both of our children are too and God willing our grandson will get saved one day.

It’s taken me 66 years to grow up, to live for the day and to not be afraid of both my past and future.

I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment