Saturday, May 11, 2019

Why Write Reviews?

Way back in the early 1980s I started working for an advertising agency.

My duties primarily involved creating logos, brochures and other promotional print projects.

My boss and the art director were primarily responsible for overseeing my work and writing the copy (or text) for individual campaigns.

One day while we were working on a campaign both my boss and art director had hit a brick wall while trying to create eye-catching copy.

I always had the knack for puns and off-kilter humor and I suggested a headline and theme for the copy.

They both liked it and before I knew I was dubbed the slogan maker.

After I left the agency I went to work for a number of companies in their marketing departments and soon myself not only designing ad campaigns but writing the copy as well.

I must have been doing something right because the campaigns were successful and my writing talent was not only appreciated but also called upon more and more.

During this period I also started writing a small “What’s Hot, What’s Not” newsletter distributed at local comic book shops.  It was nothing fancy, but it soon caught on.

Before long the size of the newsletter, it’s contents and its distribution numbers grew and I had a surefire hit on my hands.

Not only was I writing reviews about comic books, but I branched out to books, toys, trading cards and just about anything else that was considered pop culture.

I still write reviews to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment