Saturday, June 8, 2019

My Favorite Comic Books (Or How I Decided To Become An Artist/Graphic Designer)

I started reading comic books when I was five years old.  My favorites included Harvey Comics’ Casper, Little Lotta, Baby Huey,   Little Dot, Wendy The Good Little Witch, Casper, Spooky, Red Hot, Stumbo The Giant, Sad Sack and of course Richie Rich.

Other favorites included Little Archie, Sugar and Spike, Fox and Crow and a plethora of funny animal comic books including Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Woody Woodpecker and various Warner Bros, Walter Lantz and Terry Toons cartoon characters.

As I grew older I gravitated toward superhero comic books.   I loved the stories and paid little attention to the artists who drew them.  That would come later.

Most of the titles were from DC Comics and included The Doom Patrol, Metamorpho, various war titles, Dial H for Hero, Superman, Batman, The Legion Of Superheroes,  The Flash, Green Lantern, The Atom, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, Adam Strange and The Justice League Of America.

When Marvel Comics hit it big I picked up most its titles and it was at this point that my interest in art began to form.  Marvel gave credit to each book’s artist and I took notice.

From that point on I made it my mission to study the art of various artists.

During the Silver, Bronze and Modern Ages I took note of particular titles that my favorite artists worked on.

Here’s a list:

Neal Adam: Deadman, Batman, Brave and The Bold, The Uncanny X-Men and The Avengers.

John Buscema: Namor The Submariner, The Avengers and The Silver Surfer.

Steve Ditko: The Amazing Spider-Man, The Creeper, Doctor Strange, Captain Atom, The Blue Beetle, The Question and Hawk and Dove.

Wally Wood: Thunder Agents, All of his EC Comics work and Daredevil.

Gene Colan: Daredevil, The Avengers, Doctor Strange and Dracula.

Jack Kirby: The Fantastic Four, Thor, Challengers Of The Unknown, The Uncanny X-Men, His DC Comics Fourth World Saga, Captain America and The Uncanny X-Men.

Jim Steranko: Nick Fury Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America and The Uncanny X-Men.

Bernie Wrightson: Swamp Thing and his Warren Magazine work.

Frank Brunner: Doctor Strange.

Mike Ploog: Werewolf By Night.

Jim Starlin:  Warlock, Captain Marvel, various Thanos series and Dreadstar.

George Perez: The Avengers, The New Teen Titans, The Fantastic Four, Wonder Woman, The Infinity Gauntlet and The Justice League Of America.

John Byrne: The Uncanny X-Men, The Fantastic Four, Wonder Woman, The Demon, OMAC, The Demon, The Next Men, The Doom Patrol, Generations, Superman and She Hulk.

Frank Miller: Daredevil, Ronin, The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City.

Other artists whose work I enjoy and who have contributed to various titles over the years but seldom stayed on a regular monthly title are: Arthur Adams, Jerry Ordway, Ivan Reis, Dave Gibbons, Alan Davis, Dave Stevens, Jim Lee, Brian Bolland, Frank Frazetta, Joe Kubert, Michael Golden, Mort Drucker, Jack Davis, Alex Toth and various others whom, at the moment, I can’t remember their names.

I’m sure I’ve overlooked favorites of other comic book collectors.  It’s all about personal taste.

Each artist I’ve listed helped me to develop my own style and inspired me to do my best.  I’ve been fortunate enough to meet a few in person.

I’ve loved comic books all of my life and I see no reason why that love will ever fade.

I’ve often had people kid with me and tell me, “They’re gong to bury you in a comic book long box when you die.”

You know, that may not be such a bad idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment