Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Time To Tidy Up!


There comes a time in every reviewer/collector’s life that they must get rid of a few things.

Now is that time.  I have too much stuff!

I’ve written reviews going on 28 years.  During that time I have accumulated a houseful of merchandise.

I’ve weeded out stuff consistently of course but for some odd reason the piles of books, toys, etc. keep getting bigger.

I’ve given stuff away, sold stuff, traded stuff and I’ve even donated lots and lots of toys and models to our church to give to kids on the mission field.

And yet it keeps accumulating.  I take full responsibility.  I am a pack rat, albeit an organized one.

Yesterday I decided to do something about it.

First thing I tackled was my book library.  I went through my reading material and pulled out two cases of books I have not looked at for years.  Off to the used bookstore they go to sell for some cash.

Next I hit the garage and dug out a big plastic container filled with James Bond, Star Wars, and Star Trek and other TV and movie VHS tapes.  I’m giving them to a lady at our church for her husband who still has a VCR player.

While I was at it I pulled out a couple of cases of trading cards to give to that same lady to give to kids at our church youth group: Awana.

As soon as spring and summer get here I plan on getting with a friend of mine who frequents toy conventions.  I’ll either split a booth cost with him or let him sell some of my toys and give him a commission.

Too many toys!  I also plan on seeing if I can find military toy collectors.  I have a boatload of six and 12-inch military figures to sell.

Eventually, once I’m in my 70’s, I’ll be selling off my comic books (about 15,000), the rest of my toys, trading cards, books--well, you get the idea.

My plan is to sell off the lion’s share of my collection so when my wife and I decide to downsize and live in a small apartment or condo, we won’t have much to move.

Whatever is left over when I die my son has promised to sell it on E-bay so my wife won’t have to deal with it.  That is, if I pass on first.

It is amazing how much stuff I’ve accumulated.  Even after getting rid of so much stuff my man cave and part of my garage is still packed.

I’d like to donate my library of books to a college or some institution that will use them.  That, and copies of my review articles-I literally have written thousands of them.

Speaking of which.  One other thing I almost got rid of were the floppy discs containing my original documents.  I packed them up and put them in the garbage.  But, after thinking about it for a while I decided to hold on to them. 

My good friend Bill told me that it’s best I keep them for posterity and for my kids to have something to remember me by.  Good call Bill!

Today I’m off with a load of books to the bookstore.  Tomorrow I hit the local video game rescue store to sell my old Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and several handheld game consoles, along with dozens of games.

It’s my hope that someone will enjoy playing the old games as much as I did.

It ain’t easy getting rid of things, but it’s necessary.  I’m not getting any younger and it’s best I take care of things before it gets too difficult.

Everyday I wake up grateful to God I’m alive.  Life is so short.  One day you’re a kid with your head full of dreams and the next you’re old.

But, it’s not so much the destination, it’s enjoying the journey to get there.

I am so blessed.  I have my Lord, salvation and the knowledge that I will spend eternity in Heaven with him.  


I have my beautiful wife and two great kids, a grandson and soon a new granddaughter, my friends, my family, a wonderful home, food to eat, cloths to wear, my health, a great church, fantastic memories, a nice car, good neighbors--I can’t possibly list all wonderful things that God has done for me and mine.

I deserve none of it and yet God blesses.  He’ll do the same for you if you ask him to save you. He’ll turn your life around just as he has mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment