Tuesday, June 12, 2018

And So It Begins…


As I mentioned numerous times in my commentaries I have a lot of collectible stuff: comic books, toys, model kits, trading cards, etc.
 
It’s an accumulation that began almost 40 years ago and continued to grow and proliferate as Collectors’ Corner grew.

Two to three years ago I started eliminating the overflow in our garage-mostly toys and model kits.  So far, I’ve sold off, given away or traded all of the model kits and a good chunk of the toys.  Some people got some great deals.

Other, more expensive toys and select comic books, I sold through a friend’s E-bay site for a small commission and a huge profit.

Those toys, comic books another collectible items I wish to keep I’ve moved into my Mancave for safe keeping.  Not all-but most of them.

This last week I’ve bit the bullet and pulled all my remaining toys (by type) and put them into the garage and…dare I say it?..preparing to sell them!  AAAArgh!

Hard as it is to believe I am in the first stage of eliminating most of my collectibles.  I will keep some for sure but the majority is going the way of the marketplace.

Of my comic books I plan on keeping many of my duplicates and a few key runs (mostly John Byrne stuff) and a smattering of other issues that I just like.  Needless to say there are a ton of Silver, Bronze and Copper Age comic books going up for sale.

Of the toys, I will keep my James Bond figures and several other movie and tie-in series such as Stargate SG-1, Star Trek, etc.  There are a few select superhero toys I may keep such as Mattel’s DC Superheroes series.

“Everything else will go!”  I can’t believe I said that!

I’ve already set aside the collectibles my kids want and a few items for my grandson.

“Why the sudden urgency to sell off my stuff?” you may ask.

Simple…I’m getting old.  My wife and I want to downsize.  And as the saying goes, “You can’t take it with you."
Pains me as it does I’ve come to realize that time stops for no man.  So I’ve decided I would rather sell off my stuff, use the money for retirement and pass on my stuff to others who will enjoy them.  I want them to have a good home.

I knew this time was coming and in some respects I’m sad and yet glad to get it over with.  I’m not sure how I’ll go about selling the stuff off yet.  But it will happen.

It’s been fun while it lasted and I’ll still pick up a few items now and again but it’s time to clean house-literally!