Wednesday, June 13, 2018

My Life, My Wife


I’ve often written about my life as a young boy and teenager.  It’s easy to wax nostalgic for earlier days: no responsibilities, life was full of potential and dreams would someday come true-or so I thought.
 
Instead, I matured into my late teens, went to college and found myself alone, lonely and with no direction or purpose to my life.

And then it happened-I met HER! I still remember the first time I saw her: long blond hair, a beautiful smile, a killer figure and the sweetest personalities I had ever encountered in a woman.

I fell head-over-heels for her.  I couldn’t stop thinking about her.

Uncharacteristically (women intimidated me) I approached her and asked her for her phone number and if she’d like to go out sometime.  Remarkably she gave me her number and said yes.

Two weeks later we went on our first date.  We continued to date for almost a year until I got the courage to ask her to marry me.  She said YES!  We were married about six months later.

It’s been 39 wonderful years and I love her more and more each day.

She’s the love of my life and one of the most patient women I know.  She has to be to be married to me.
While I’m the dreamer, she’s the realist.  I tend to drift off in conversations and into my own little world.  She pulls me back to reality-but never in a hateful way.

Oh, we’ve had our spats-mostly caused by me. She has to get after me about making messes, thinking about what I’m doing, listening and keeping focused-something I think all men have in common.

I’m surprised (and delighted) she still puts up with me.  I can be a royal pain, when I want to be.  And still, she loves me.

In the Bible God says that a wife is a ‘good’ thing and to be highly praised.  She is precious to me.  As her husband I always place her wants and needs above my own.  I would die for her.

Why God would allow me to have such a wonderful woman in my life is beyond me.  She’s everything I’m not: frugal, patient, generous the list goes on and on.

As we’ve grown closer I find myself wanting to emulate her strengths.  I want to share her compassion for others, her tender heart and most of all, her love of God.


I’ve got a way to go but with God’s grace and the love of this incredible woman maybe I’ll make it someday.

Until then I’ll thank God everyday for her and pray that we have many more wonderful years together.  I look forward to growing old together.