Friday, February 14, 2020

Learn To Chill and Overly Ambitious


If there is one thing I struggle with more than anything else in my life it’s relaxing.  I’m the kind of guy that needs to be doing something.

I’m not talking about around the house chores or other mundane day-to-day activities.  I’m referring to keeping busy-creatively.

When it comes to maintenance around the house, working on our car, the yard and other domestic responsibilities I don’t shirk them.  In fact, I jump on them the first chance I have and complete them so I don’t have to worry about them later.  I hate procrastinating.

This year I’ve decided to write and draw something everyday.

I need the practice.

Writing has never been a big problem for me-it’s drawing that causes me to pull out my hair in frustration.

I tend to write almost everyday anyway-mostly reviews and commentaries.  I don’t see that changing much, except for the frequency.

I made my living as a graphic designer and I was good at it.

But to sit down and draw for my own amusement and enjoyment that’s going to take some effort. I am determined however.
 

Never in my wildest dreams as a kid did I believe I would be alive in 2020-let alone thinking I would live to be 67 years old!

But, I did and I’m grateful.

Back to art.  If all goes as planned I will pencil and/or ink a drawing everyday for the next year, minus Sundays.

Sometimes the drawings will be simple funny cartoons.  At other times they will be more complicated pieces.  One drawing may stretch to two or three days as I add details.

There are no set rules-so here goes.

As to learning to cool it and be patient, that’s going to take some serious effort on my part.

Still, at 67 years old I suppose it’s time to slow down.  I'm not the kid I used to be.  It certainly takes longer to recuperate from injuries and exercise than it used to.

I'm not bed bound or crippled.  I exercise regularly and keep my weight down.  I try to keep care of myself. But, time marches on and age does take its toll.

I’m learning to sit and read, taking my time at chores, enjoying the moment and trying not to sweat the small stuff.

I’m still ambitious, but for different reasons than when I was younger.

Fame and fortune mean nothing to me.  Self fulfillment and the satisfaction of a job well done are more important now.

Priorities are changing as I age.  It’s not about the achievement, it’s more about the journey and enjoying it along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment