Monday, July 26, 2021

The Best Of 60s TV


My favorite decade for TV shows was the 1960s.  TV had just come out of its Golden Age and was starting to explore all sorts of genres for entertainment viewing.

There were westerns, comedies, crime shows, superhero programs, monster shows-the list went on and on.

Many of the TV shows have since gone on to be considered classics and are still watched by millions of people today as repeats.

I gotta tell ya, I really enjoyed
The Best Of 60s TV book.

It brought back so many wonderful memories.

I was pretty much raised as a single child.  By the time I was five years old all of my brothers had moved out and were married.

My mother was sickly and pretty much caught up in herself.  She seemed more interested in playing bingo and going to stores that spending time with me or teaching me much of anything.

I was one of those latchkey kids that for weeks at a time I would be home alone because my mom would be in the hospital. At the time I never really thought much about it-it was just the way it was.

Fortunately I had some good friends and my brothers did come to check up on me.

Still, much of my time was spent alone so like most kids I watched TV.

I thrilled to the adventures of Captain Kirk, Napoleon Solo, Batman and other macho figures.  I took heart and comfort watching TV families like those in comedy sitcoms such as Bewitched, the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons and I Dream of Jeannie.

My TV-all three networks worth-along with PBS and a Canadian station provided me a lot of fun, friendship and comfort.

The 1960s was the decade I remember the most when it comes to TV shows.  I was born in 1953 so for most of the 1950s I was too young to remember many shows.  But the 1960’s TV shows-they were the best.

I got excited when I spotted The Best Of 60s TV, published by Mallard Press and written and compiled by Michael McCall, at my local used bookstore.

The book is filled with photos and fun facts about all the different genres broadcast during that decade.

Westerns, spy shows, detective series, sci-fi, variety and comedies-they filled the airways along with other types of programs.

The book is a wonderful homage to a long ago time.  I enjoyed walking down Memory Lane and reminiscing about my childhood, family, friends, the holidays and especially my other family-the characters that populated the 1960s TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment