Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Marvel Age Of Comics 1961-1978

The Birth Of Marvel Comics!

As a Christian I am constantly amazed how God provides for my family and I, protects us, blesses up and loves us.

I especially love when once in a while God surprises me.

That happened the other morning when I rode my bike to the local used bookstore to trade in some DVDs.

The instant I walked in the door I spotted a book I have been looking for for years.

There it was and only $20!  I grabbed it immediately and used my credit to pay for it.  What a surprise!  I love it when God does that.  Thanks God!

So far I’ve looked through this book at least a dozen times and still manage to find new stuff to read and look at.

I’m talking about Taschen’s The Marvel Age OF Comics 1961-1978 by Roy Thomas.

I was raised reading Marvel Comics’ Silver and Bronze Age comic books.

It’s hard to describe the thrill of reading these early books.

I remember reading about the first appearance of Galactus and the Silver Surfer, the introduction of the Black Panther, the first issue of The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Thor, Daredevil, The Avengers, etc.

The Bronze Age brought Wolverine, The Punisher, Morbius and so many more memorable characters.

I watched the first Marvel cartoons, the live action TV series like The Hulk and Spider-Man and I even owned a few of the early toy tie-ins.  I was even a member of M.M.M.S (The Merry Marvel Marching Society) with a membership card and all.

The oversize hardback book features a huge gold metallic and red ink title with the first issue cover of Spider-Man as its cover.  On the revise side is an image of the first issue of The Hulk.

On the inside cover and first page and the inside back cover and last page is a chronological timetable listing the key events in the world and Marvel Comics from 1961 to 1978.

Appropriately the book begins with The Fantastic Four since it kicked off The Marvel Age of Comics.

From there each of the key characters and titles introduced in the Silver Age are examined in text complemented with full color interior art and covers.

Sprinkled throughout are photos of original black and white art and promotional products created during that time period.

From the Silver Age the book then expounds of the Bronze Age with its introduction to more ‘mature’ storylines and the expansion into horror, the supernatural and other subject that were allowed when the Comic Book Authority guidelines were eased up.

What a great book!  Roy Thomas did an astounding job compiling the massive amount of images and provided fascinating text filled with all sorts of insider notes and recollections.

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV) “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”

No comments:

Post a Comment