Thursday, August 3, 2023

The VW Bus History Of A Passion

When I was a teenager attending high school one of my best friends had a mid-1960s VW Bus cargo van with no side windows and a sliding side door.

In the winter we would drive it to the school parking lot that usually froze over. Once there we’d slide around pulling donuts and figure eights. A few times we almost tipped it over. It was great fun.

VW Buses were the stuff of the 1960’s hippy movement. Any teenager worth their weight in salt has a beat-up VW Bus, usually painted in psychedelic colors and peace signs. It was a babe magnet!

In The VW Bus History Of A Passion book, by author Jorg Hajt and published by Schiffer Publishing, the history of the beloved VW Bus is laid out accompanied by archival photos-black and white and in color.

Talk about bringing back some fond memories!

What made (makes) the VW Bus so beloved is the versatility of the vehicle. From cargo van to camper, to pick-up to family transportation and everything in between the VW Bus is awesome!

Early VW Buses, especially early models with multiple windows, demand high prices. Fixed up and back on the road some of the vehicles can demand six to seen figures! Wow!

What a fascinating book. I never knew that was so much to know about this beloved vehicle.

Beside an impressive history the book also contains technical information and tips on buying.

"Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I entrust my life." — Psalm 143:8

No comments:

Post a Comment