Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Nostalgia: Adventures Of Mr. Frog and Miss Mouse

The other day I was looking through some old comic books that my friend gave me.  One of the comic books: Dell Junior Treasury #4 Adventures Of Mr. Frog and Miss Mouse, published in 1956, caught my attention.

Flipping through its pages there was something about the art that seemed familiar.  Where had I seen that style before?  Who was the artist?

Suddenly it hit me-Walt Kelly the creator of Pogo The Possum!  Of course, I recognize that style anywhere.

Now I'm not 100% certain but I’m pretty sure that it is Kelly’s work.

The animals’ renderings look familiar, the poses, the page compositions and the attention to detail all fit.

A quick personal observation: as much as new comic book work is touted today I’ve discovered that much of the comic book art from the 1950s and 1960s far outshine much of today‘s work.

Back in those times the artists were paid a pittance as compared to today’s pencillers.  There were no benefits and the artists were often not credited for their work.

And yet if you take a look at some of the funny animal, humor, and superhero licensed properties and other genres it becomes obvious that quality was a number one priority.

Artists drew because they loved to.  They weren’t so much concerned about making a name for themselves or receiving a big paycheck.  They put their heart and soul into their work and it shows.

I marvel at the attention the artist gave to each and every page.  It’s some of the nicest illustrations I’ve ever seen for children’s tale.

Everything clicks with this issue.  The art (bordered and unbordered), the page layouts, the subtle text and fancy headlines, the coloring and even the map.

The artist shows a mastery of not only drawing cartoon animals, but settings, environments, perspective, nature, interiors, exteriors and various objects.

Far from stagnant figures the characters emote feelings, body language and a real sense of space and interaction with one another.

It's a delightful tale told in a touching, humorous and well crafted manner.

Kids and adults alike will enjoy the story and marvel at the illustrations.

Currently a raw, mint copy goes for around $50.  It is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment