Sunday, January 10, 2021

Marvel Comics: Fantastic Four Special Edition and Roast


My first exposure to the Marvel Age of comic books was with the first issues of The Fantastic Four.

I bought issue #1 off a newsstand in 1961 when I was eight years old.  The price tag was ten cents.  I rolled it up, put it in my back pocket, took it home and read it.  

Shutter the thought!  Comic book collectors just let out a collective, “AAARRRGGGHHH!”

Up until that time I had only read DC, Harvey, Gold Key and Archie comic books.

When I got a look at the Thing, Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Girl and the Human Torch my adolescent mind was completely blown.

I was a die-hard FF fan after that point and I anxiously waited for the next issue to come out each month.  I was a disciple of the Lee/Kirby school of The Fantastic Four.

In the Special Edition Fantastic Four comic book from 1984 the classic Sub-Mariner versus the human race story is reprinted.

The issue also includes a brand new John Byrne cover and interior character pages.  It’s a great way to enjoy a classic tale for a fraction of the cost of purchasing the original issue with some new art is included to boot.

Cartoonist and writer Fred Hembeck presents The World’s Silliest Comic Magazine: Fantastic Four Roast.

Fred provided the layouts and top artistic talents of 1982 provided the pencils.  Look for work from John Byrne, Michael Golden, Terry Austin, Marshal Rodgers and many more.

Join the FF as they are roasted courtesy of every superhero in the Marvel Universe.  Of course the super bad guys try to muck up the celebration.

It’s a no-holds-barred, hi-jinx filled, hilarious honorarium of the superteam that started it all.  It’s Marvel Comics at its wackiest.
of all time lists and has partially inspired other authors in the creation of influential manga.


No comments:

Post a Comment