Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Comic Books


OK, I know that some of the things I’m going to say are going to upset some people.

But, I believe they need to be said.

I’ve been collecting comic books for over 60 years.  I collect them to read and reread.  What they are ‘worth’ means very little to me.

When I spot Youtube sites that so called ‘collectors’ host they only talk about ‘key’ comic books and what they are worth and how much they paid, for them I have this to say:

Paying huge prices for comic books, having them graded and boasting about how much they are worth is not collecting, it is investing. Two separate things.

The CGC: Certified Guaranty Company, is a joke.  Most of what they grade is wrong, even by their own standards.  And speaking of standards-who set them up to be the authority?

I don’t recall there being a vote.  Who’s really making money on grading comic books?  The CGC!

How is the value determined by sealing a comic book in a plastic box and sticking a label on it?

If a comic book is a 9.8 graded raw and 9.8 slabbed, why the huge price difference?

Whoopee-you have a sealed comic book.  The minute you open the seal the price drops to the raw price.  Why is that? It’s like buying a new car in the dealership, driving it one block off the dealership and the value drops by 30%!

And what’s with wanting a ‘perfect’ comic book that is 50 years old?  It’s sealed, stamped and you never get to handle it or read it.  What’s the point?

It’s a scam and a HUGE one at that!

How is it possible that a book less than a month old can escalate in price to hundreds of dollars?  Reality has taken a big leap out of the window!

And what about comic book storage and protection?

Let me make this clear.  You can store comic books in a box (yes a regular box or plastic tote) in a closet or cool dark place (without bags and boards) and they will be just fine.

You should protect your books just as you would any property you have, but don’t go overboard.  If you want to bag and board them go ahead and do it.

There a few companies that make good collecting supplies.

Buying new bags and boards for comic books and replacing them every ten years is a joke.  I have comic books from thirty years ago in their original bags with boards are they are perfectly fine.

Remember, cool, dark and air circulation-simple.

And another thing.  How dare a comic book shop offer me a fraction (usually 10%) of the value for a comic book that I know they will turn around and sell for over 1000% of that price.

I may not collect for money, but I'm not going to let myself be scammed regardless of what the object I'm selling is.

You want to play the 'value' game with me, have at it.  I'm wise to your strategy.  You play nice, so will I.

I understand retailer costs but, come on, I’m not stupid.

How is it possible that a comic book that sold for, let’s say, $50 ten years ago is now selling in the 5-figure range?  Ridiculous!

The majority of people who attend comic book conventions are not true collectors.  They are following a fad.  As soon as it fades and there is no money to be made, they’re gone!

Talk to most new collectors and they have no idea about or knowledge of comic book history.  Veteran comic book artists and writers (with a few exceptions) have few people visiting their booths.  It’s a shame.

Everyone is clamoring for the latest ‘hot’ comic book celebrity.  We’re talking comic book writers and artists-not movie stars or politicians!

Here’s my advice.  Buy comic books to read and reread. Collect them because you like them, not for what they are worth as dictated by the marketplace.

If they go up in value, that's a bonus.  Don’t buy into the hype.  Buy and read what you like.

If you don’t like a particular book’s political or social stand-don’t buy it.  It’s a free market, buy what you want, not what is ‘popular’.  Crap is crap no matter how much you decorate it with bright colors, art or social relevance.

Too often those that promote certain comic books on the Internet declaring them to be ‘hot’ and worth a great deal of money have a huge backlog of those issues they are trying to get rid of.

Don’t fall for the ‘collector’ and 'investor’ scams.  Be smart, think things through and ignore trends.

Trust me, it is a lot more fun to hit yard sales (forget flea markets) or used bookstores to pick up past issues.  It’s cheaper and more challenging.

Anyone can go online and buy comic books or pay inflated prices for issues at comic book shops. 

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NKJV) “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment