Tuesday, August 14, 2018

When Time Drags


Late summer is the longest time of the year.  Not just chronologically.  It’s the time of year when conventions are in full bloom, companies are busy planning appearances and upcoming projects all resulting in that review material slows to a trickle.
 
Since I depend on review materials my review output dwindles as well.

So, I have to keep myself busy writing, drawing, doing chores around the house, exercising, shopping with my wife, visiting friends and having them visit us, spending more time with my family, reading and generally keeping busy so I won’t go out of my mind.

For years I worked in the advertising field as a graphic designer.  Deadlines ruled and stress was at a premium.

I was an idea guy.  My mind never shut off.  I was constantly coming up with new ideas, approaches and projects.  As a result my attention span and patience were short.  

Even today it is not uncommon for me to be reading four or five books at the same time, working on art project, designing book covers for a writer friend of mine or cataloging my large comic book, toy and other assorted pop culture collectibles.

I simply can’t sit still for very long.  There are too many things to do, learn and experience.

Is it any wonder that when review material sporadically shows up that my lack of patience and easy boredom level flare up?

My only consolation is that eventually things will go back to normal with a semi-regular flow of review material showing up.  Until then I’ll slowly, methodically and inevitably go out of my mind!