Thursday, September 16, 2021

Magnum P.I. Trading Cards



It’s hard to believe that the original Magnum PI TV show went off the air in 1988 after eight successful seasons.

It’s even harder to believe that Tom Selleck, who played Magnum, is in his mid-70s, Larry Manetti who played Rick is also in his 70s, Roger Mosely as T.C. is in his mid-80s and that John Hillerman, who played Jonathan Higgins III, died in 2017 at 84 years old.

Magnum P.I. was a mainstay in the 1980s for my wife and I.  Every Thursday night at 8 PM we’d curl up on the couch to watch Magnum and his pals solve crimes on CBS.
 

Eight color cards come per pack along with a stick of bubblegum in the Donruss Magnum P.I. Trading Card series.  Sixty-six cards make up the set.

What fun looking over the photos taken from the show.  I miss the original series-especially all of the characters.  Like myself they have all grown old.

It saddens me to see some of my favorite actors grow old or die.  It makes me recognize my own mortality.

I do have a hope.  When I die I know I’ll go to heaven to be with my savior Jesus Christ.  Still, I’m in no hurry to die.

It’s difficult at times to see oneself aging.  Wrinkles form, hair turns gray or disappears, eyesight grows dim, hearing dulls and the body slowly succumbs to weakness, less mobility and more aches and pains.

When I was young I never thought of getting old.  Now that I am approaching my twilight years I wonder what time will do to me.  Will I contract Alzheimer's or Dementia, will I be bed bound or placed in a nursing home?

Who will go first, my wife or myself?  If she dies before me, how will I handle the grief?

Growing old is scary but its also an adventure where you never know what's around the next bend or what might happen.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to get melancholy.  It’s just that when I looked over my Magnum P.I. Trading Cards from Donruss I suddenly realized how long ago the show went off the air and how young I was when it aired.

Twenty-two of the cards have a made-up story about Magnum P.I. on their backs.  The balance of the cards have a section of a poster on their backs that when put together make a huge poster of Magnum.

I can’t express how much joy looking at these cards gives me.
 
It’s like looking at a part of my younger life and the great times my wife and I had in the 1980s when were in our late 20s and early 30s.  We were so young and had so much to look forward to.  We had our whole lives ahead of us.

Still, I wouldn’t change a thing.  We’ve been together for over 40 years, raised two great kids and are blessed to have two awesome grandkids.

Romans 8:39 - Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment