Friday, February 16, 2024

The Book Bus

As long as I can remember I’ve always loved books and reading.

When I was a child I often used my lunch money to buy books at the Scholastic Books stand outside the cafeteria.

I’d come home starving after school and my mom would fuss at me. But, I think that she was secretly proud of me for wanting to read so much.

Later on when I was a little older I’d spend each day at the library, hitchhike to the next town to visit the bookstore and frequent used book shops.

In The Book Bus, published by Schiffer Kids, Melanie Moore provides the story, Brian Wray writes the book and artist Mike Helm contributes the colorful art for kids to look at.

The oversize hardbound children’s book comes with a dust cover, 

Tilly the farm bus/truck went about her chores.

At night the small girl of Tilly’s human family would come into the barn where Tilly was parked and using a flashlight, would read books.

Tilly loved listening to stories and would often dream of the various adventures told in each book.

After a while the pile of books in Lilly’s crates grew bigger and bigger.

Before too long the girl grew up and Tilly’s gathered dust and wondered what was her use.

She wondered if other kids would enjoy her books and so she set off to share her books. She did and soon children and grownups not only read her books but donated others to her collection.

The simple prose and stylized drawings/paintings make the book easy to follow and enjoy for kids.

I wonder if Tilly visited my hometown? Every week a truck/bus would drive down the streets providing kids books to read and cherish.

What a wonderful tale encouraging kids to enjoy and cherish reading.

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." — Proverbs 27:1

No comments:

Post a Comment