Monday, August 17, 2026

A History Of The Sky

As a young boy growing up in the 1960s I was excited about the Space Race. I dreamed of being an astronaut and traveling to the stars.

Surprisingly I never really looked at the heavens themselves in any great degree. Sure I saw the stars at night, but as far as visualizing other worlds, regions of space and astrological phenomenon never really interested me.

Until--one late night when I was a young teenager and my friends and I decided to take in a drive-in movie. The drive-in theater was located several miles outside of my hometown in the middle of nowhere.

We went, saw the movie and then began our drive home. Along the way we decided to pull over and chat under the stars.

It was then and there that the heavens really opened up for me.

It was early November in Michigan on a country road that I looked, really looked up, and saw the heavens in all their glory. The Milky Way took up most of the night sky and coincidentally on that particular night something amazing happened that occurred every year about that same time.

A massive meteor shower lit up the night sky. There were dozens of fiery meteor tails streaking across the sky. I was mesmerized.

Ever since then almost every night I look up and wonder-what’s out there?

In authors Pierre Lena’s and Christian Grataloup’s new book, published by Thames & Hudson: A History Of the Night Sky, 300 infographics trace the global history of the sky and how societies through the ages, viewed them, studied and speculated about them and meshed them into their particular societies.

Ancient societies, pivotal moments, important individuals, discoveries, speculations and more are all examined in this small hardbound book packed with information.

Learn about the moon, the sun, the solar system, the universe, space exploration, astrophysics, distant galaxies, light, telescopes, types of suns and so much more. There’s a whole universe to explore and this book is great starting point.

Revelation 21:21-25And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment