When I was a teenager many, many, many years ago (we’re talking the 1960s) I always enjoyed reading Archie Comics.
It was no mystery as to why. I was a teenager, Archie and his friends were teenagers, I had teenage problems and situations, they did too, I had girl problems, so did Archie, Jughead and Reggie-in other worlds Archie and his gang spoke the same language and had the same teenage angst as I did.
By the 1960s Archie Comics had moved away from the goodie-two-shoes and pablum formula that the books featured in the 1940s and 1950s.
Archie and his buddies wore cloths teenagers wore, they belonged in a Rock and Roll band (remember The Archies and their hit Sugar, Sugar?) and they even dabbled in the superhero genre, befriended a witch and were similar to The Scooby Gang in the Scooby Doo animated TV show.
Archie drove a dilapidated car-so did I, Betty and Veronica had a crush on him (I never had THAT problem) and he also had a sneaky nemesis (Reggie) just like every awkward teenage boy had someone-usual a jock or bully that harassed him.
Over the decades Archie had fallen somewhat out of favor. Not too long ago a new interest was shown in the series when Riverdale became a TV show. Archie Comics took on a darker aspect and the art was updated.
That was then. It’s cooled off since then.
But, Archie Comics fans rejoice! Oni Press and Archie Comics have joined forces to create a whole new take on Archie and his pals starting off with Archie #1, then Sabrina #1 and Archie In Hell #1.
In Archie #1 the creative team of Ben H. Winters, Fabio Moon and Jason Wordie bring back everyone’s favorite red-head teenage boy in an exciting new series.
In issue #1 Archie thinks he has his act together only to discover he’s dreaming,
Later Archie finds himself the reluctant star in several student movies. Jughead hangs out to eat the catering food.
Jughead starts having food withdrawals when Pop’s Shop closes so Pop can attend his daughter’s wedding.
I love it! The art is amazing, the colors pop, the characters have been updated but still retain their individual quirky personalities and Archie still manages to find himself in the middle of---everything.
It’s like reading the classic Archie series but updated, made more relevant and even more fun! Even better the new titles have a wide selection of covers-pick the ones you like.
James 1:5-8If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

No comments:
Post a Comment